The goal of the project is to improve evidenced based policy making and policy evaluation at the centre of government, from a whole of government perspective, looking at capacities for coordination, promotion and commissioning evaluation, as well as policy making skills in the civil service, quality assurance processes and use of evaluation in decision making.
The project is supported by the the European Commission under Regulation (EU) 2017/825 on the establishment of the Structural Reform Support Programme ("SRSP Regulation"). The mission of the Directorate General for Structural Reform Support (DG REFORM) of the European Commission is to provide support for the preparation and implementation of growth-enhancing administrative and structural reforms by mobilising EU funds and technical expertise.
The project „Evidence Based Policy Making and Policy Evaluation at the Centre of Government“ is being implemented by the Government Strategic Analysis Centre (STRATA) and the Office of the Government together with the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Economy and Innovation, Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Justice.
OVERALL OUTCOME AND IMPACT
The expected outcomes of the project are:
- Integration of the project recommendations in the political agenda.
- Increased capacities for policy evaluation across government helping to achieve broad goals in terms of promoting inclusiveness, addressing multiple impacts, for example in terms of climate.
- Greater capacity for promotion of policy evaluation within STRATA, as well as more generally, position STRATA as a strategic hub for knowledge brokerage and evidence-based policy making.
The expected impacts of the project are:
- Strengthened use of evaluation in the government and an improved political/administrative interface through investing in senior civil service skills and organisational schemes;
- Increased attention to quality of evaluation, through quality assurance, methodological tools to ensure adequate incentives for quality.
Stage I | STOCKTAKING + ANALYSIS
A scan of evidence based policy making from a whole of government perspective, looking at capacities for coordination, promotion and commissioning evaluation, as well as quality assurance and use of evaluation in decision-making.
The development of a policy paper in coordination with stakeholders
Stage II | CAPACITY BUILDING
Policy implementation support through capacity-building workshops
Stage III | IMPLEMENTATION SUPPORT
Technical mission to co-design the implementation roadmap and identify key deliverables and a macro-calendar
A final conference to showcase results and help disseminate and share progress
Head of the OECD’s unit for Evidence Monitoring and Policy Evaluation
Policy Analyst, OECD’s unit for Evidence Monitoring and Policy Evaluation
PROJECT WORKING GROUP
Head of the Strategic Competencies Group at the Office of the Goverment
Head of the Legal System Group at the Ministry of Justice
Advisor, Economic Analysis and Evaluation Division, The Financial Policy Department at the Ministry of Finance
Advisor, Better Regulation Policy Division, Business Environment Department at the Ministry of Economy and Innovation
Senior Adviser, Public Administration and Local Government Policy Group at the Ministry of Interior
Senior Policy Analyst at the Government Strategic Analysis Centre
PROJECT STEERING GROUP
First Deputy chancellor of the Government
Senior Adviser of the Ministry, Ministry of Justice
Vice-minister, Ministry of Finance
Vice-minister, Ministry of Economy and Innovation
Vice-minister, Ministry of Interior
Managing Director, Government Strategic Analysis Centre
Government Strategic Analysis Centre
+370 600 78 563
Goverment Strategic Analysis Centre
Junior Policy Analyst
+370 672 89 697